Sunday, April 25, 2010

If You Get the Chance to Eavesdrop on Five Year-Olds, Definitely Do It! :-)

Whenever Sophie gets on the phone with one of her cousins, hilariousness ensues. And since Sophie refuses to talk on the phone the "yucky regular way" (otherwise known as NOT on speaker), I get to hear both ends of the conversation. Today's afternoon chat with Ella, working out the details of her birthday party next weekend, had me suppressing a whole lot of snorts.

******
Ella: "Make sure you wear polka dots, Sophie!"

Sophie: "Polka dots? How come?"

Ella: "Because that's what we're doing - wearing polka dots. The invitation says so, so we are!"

Sophie: "Oh! Okay!"

(Yelling at the top of her lungs...) "MaaaaaMAAAAAA! DO I HAVE ANY POLKA-DOTTY STUFF TO WEAR TO ELLA'S PARTY?!?!"

Me: "Yep. You're covered."

Sophie to Ella: "Ella, I'll be COVERED in polka dots! ...Does the polka-dottiest person get a prize?"

Ella: "No, you bring me a present."

Sophie: "I will.  A good one.  Even though I don't know what it is yet, it will be good.  ...Ooo! I'm going to wear a crown!"

Ella: "No, that's not allowed. I'm wearing a crown. I'm the birthday girl."

Sophie: "Oh, okay. ...Can I wear something sparkly? Maybe something with diamonds and stuff?"

Ella: "Sure. As long as it's not a crown."

Sophie: "Ooo, I know! I'll wear a sparkly pink necklace..."

Ella: "YES!"

Sophie: "And those glass slippers you gave me that have glitter on them..."

Ella: "Good idea!!"

Sophie: "...and my Darth Vader mask that makes real Darth Vader breathing sounds!!"

(Silence.  Crickets chirping.)

(Followed by much sighing.)

(And something just this side of a moan...)

Ella: "No. No way! Do NOT do that."

That was around the time Sophie informed Ella she would be bringing her new pet hermit crabs, Kiki and Bebo, with her to the party and Ella screamed, "NO! No BUGS!!!!!! NOOOOOOO." (Quivery voice, followed by...) "You cannot come if you bring ANY BUGS, Sophie!!!"

She sounded justthisclose to having a moment and needing some smelling salts for revival.

Sophie was standing beside me. She covered up the phone with her hand and whispered, "Mom, she'll be fine if I take them, won't she? I'll hide them behind my back 'til she's used to them."


Poor Ella. Life can be a bit trying around Cousin Sophs when you're a girly girl.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed eavesdropping on that conversation so much! How cute they are! Love, Mooms

karen said...

oh my gosh, I absolutely love your daughter. I need to come and play sometime soon..... :)

Russ said...

I guess we aren't getting Ella and Wylie those hermit crabs for their birthdays. I only THOUGHT it was a good idea.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! I rolled in the floor laughing reading this!

~Lee

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!! That Sophie is a hoot :) What part of a Darth Vader mask does she think goes with sparkly, shiny, and diamonds??????!!?? LOL
Give that hoot a hug from me!!
Love,
Aunt Becky

Related Posts with Thumbnails