Wednesday, April 21, 2010

American Idol - Top 7

Russ is away this week on business, which translates into me being a single parent for five days.  Which translates into me falling dead asleep, on my face, drooling, at nine o'clock...basically right after I get The Energizer Bunny tucked away at night.  All of which I tell you to say, I'm just getting around to watching American Idol off the DVR.  Have I mentioned lately how much I love my DVR?  Twue Wuv, you guys.

Tonight's theme is inspirational songs.  And I have to admit, I'm kind of excited about it.  I've always been a girl who appreciates a nice sappy song.  Although I'm a little worried.  If this is going to turn into a Bette Midler festival, I may have to be real disappointed.  Yikes.  Please don't let this be about the contestants finding the wind beneath their wings.  I really can't handle anyone flllllllyyyyyyy-ing higher than an eagle.

Casey James.  "Don't Stop."  I like Casey.  Love his tone, love the grit in his voice.  We all know how much I like a masculine singing voice and a good firm bootie in a pair of just-right jean...ahem, sorry. Focus!  He plays the guitar really well - very naturally.  It doesn't seem like he has to think about it, like when some of the other contestants play an instrument.  In fact, I think Casey sometimes forgets the whole "singing competition" part of things and overpowers himself with his instrument.  Voice before rockin' jam fest, Case.  Words to live by if you want to keep the judges' panties unwadded.

Lee Dewyze.  "The Boxer."  Luuuuuuh-ved this.  Such a great mix of emotion and power from Lee.  I feel like Ellen:  I loved everything about this performance.  Well, actually, that's not true.  There was one little thing I didn't so much love.  The spit-hangies that were caught at the back of his throat when he belted out the big notes...eee.  I kept wanting him to just take a drink of water and start over.  But I have spit issues.  If I close my eyes and just listen, ahhh.  Good stuff.

Tim Urban.  "Better Days."  Oh, Teflon Tim.  I so want to like you.  And I'm pretty sure if I were in highschool, I'd push past your voice and just set up camp in your Twilight-hair and eyelashes.  Power Through For Cute!  I'd be wearing the t-shirt and waving the sign.  But I'm not in highschool.  And I love The Goo Goo Dolls.  I love this song.  And it was just mutilated in a swampy sea of monotone and screech.  Ugh.  Although, it's hard to do monotone and screechy, so props for that!  Face the slaughter by the judges and smile on, Tim.  Crest will be calling when the singing thing doesn't work out.

Aaron Kelly.  "I Believe I Can Fly."  Whoops, a little close to the wind and wings we're trying to stay away from.  Plus, wow, strap on a seatbelt, this is a huge song.  I'm nervous.  Aaron sounds pretty good in his practice session with Alicia.  But here comes the real deal aaaaaaand...it's a rocky start.  Wowie kazowie, hitting some rough notes.  I'm sitting here, clenched, just hoping like crazy for him that his voice doesn't crack.  Puberty, be kind!  Okay, he made it, and I totally agree with Simon.  That performance wasn't bad because Aaron is just so darn nice.  I mean, doesn't he seem like such a great, mannerly young lad?  You wanna pinch his cheeks and entrust your lawn to his responsible care.  That said, I will not be in any hurry to purchase that on iTunes.

Let's pause for a moment.  What is going on with Ryan?  Has anyone else noticed his bizarre behavior over the past several weeks?  Bullying the contestants.  Provoking fights with the judges.  He's turned into a bit of a jerkwad.  Is the show trying to create extra special drama, or does Ryan need a pill of some sort?  Now he's kicked Simon out of his chair and all of the judges look extremely uncomfortable.  Awkward with a capital A.  You think he's hoping to get Simon's job next year, be the new Mr. Blunt?  Is he treating this season as one long audition?  I'm confused.  The tension between the judges and Ryan no longer feels ha-ha-aren't-we-funny jokey.  It feels real.  Or am I overanalyzing?  I sometimes do that.

Siobhan Magnus.  "When You Believe."  Let's first state the knowns:  Siobhan has a really original sound.  Siobhan can hit some crazy impressive notes.  Siobhan has a very unique fashion sense.  Siobhan has a name that is not spelled like it's pronounced.  Known.  The unknowns...I don't know.  Something's just missing the past few weeks.  Siobhan is starting to kind of take a nose-dive for me.  I hate it, because I really like her, but her performances are starting to feel forced.  And overly dramatic.  Maybe it's all the tight stare-deeply-into-the-camera shots.  I felt a bit like she was encroaching on my personal space.  I totally agree with Kara (which is an odd feeling) - I would much rather hang out, drink something fruity, and chat with Siobhan than watch her perform.  She's quirky and fun, and she says things that are right on.  But I don't think that sells records.

Michael Lynch.  "Hero."  I like it that Mike wants us to step up and be a hero for the people in our lives.  Yes!  But I'm a smidge scared listening to his practice snippet.  Hey, it's Spiderman!  I was actually thinking it was going to be the Mariah Carey song.  I'm so very glad it's not.  Okay, so, I love the beginning.  Just him on the guitar sounds pretty great.  Not so much a fan when the orchestra kicks in.  And what's with the flashy red lights?  If I have a seizure, I can't vote.  ...Oh, man.  That was way over the top.  But I like Big Mike.  I like that he can bench press "three Ryans".  I get the giggles every time I think about that.  I'm pretty sure Ryan will refrain from goading Mike about anything.  The man's arms are Seqoias.

Crystal Bowersox.  "People Get Ready."  Otherwise known as "People Get Ready For The Winner".  Schnikies!  The girl is just in another league.  WOW.  Chillbumps.  I let my chillbumps do the voting.  I'm saying Lee vs. Crystal in the finale, providing Crystal can hang on.  It's obvious she's missing her family something fierce.

Best of the night:  Crystal, Lee.
Worst of the night:  Tim, Siobhan.
Should go tonight:  Tim, Siobhan.
Will go tonight:   Tim, Aaron, or Mike.  I think the train is pulling into the station for one of them.  No Daughtry moments, please!  (Yes, I'm still talking about Daughtry, even after he's made his multi-millions.)

What say ye?  About the performances.  Not the fact that I'm overly invested in a TV show and should probably get a hobby.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you should have a column! You hit them all right on the nose! But, I have to say, I laughed out loud about the spit-hangies, that was soooooo hilarious to me, because I thought the same thing last night when I was watching! Girl, you are great, lol!!!!!

~Kim

Musings of a Housewife said...

Hilarious. And bang on. That's because, of course, you agreed with me. Or I agreed with you. Or, you know. ;-)

thanks for stopping by today!

emily said...

Totally agree with you. I actually said to Travis while we were watching it last night that I thought it would be Crystal and Lee in the finals. And I COMPLETELY agree with you about Ryan. Something's definitely up with him lately.

ben said...

A national study conducted by Mediacurves.com among American Idol viewers found that Aaron Kelly was selected as the contestant that should be eliminated from the competition based on his performance last night and only received 4.8% of votes The study parallels American Idol voting to determine the weekly winners based on a democratic, “one person, one vote” methodology.
More results can be seen at http://www.mediacurves.com/Entertainment/J7762-AmericanIdol-4-20-2010/Index.cfm

Kritter Krit said...

I'd be fine with Aaron, too. I just don't want Casey, Lee, or Crystal to go home.

Related Posts with Thumbnails