Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Whoops. I Guess I Do Have A Few Thoughts On The Matter.

I realize we're not going to all agree on this issue. But pussy-footing around the point has never really been my special gift. So in light of that (and because it's my blog and I can be as obnoxious as I want to be), let's just get down to the nitty-gritty, shall we?

The people supposedly representing The People are idiots.

There has never been an entitlement program that hasn't cost many times more than projected. Our current economy cannot handle this burden. (Yes. I thought just for fun I'd start this little rant by dabbling in the obvious.)

I have to believe that most of the people who think this mess is a good thing are either (a.) grossly misinformed or (b.) conveniently protected from the punishing effects of this bill. Exempting Unions from taxes on Cadillac health plans until 2018 is not "equal care for all". Neither is taking 50% of Working America's income to help pay for NonWorking America's needs, or unlimited medical care for the President, VP, and Congress for $42/month. Just sayin'.

Health insurance is not heath CARE.

Less important for some, but hugely important for one: I cannot imagine living life as Mr. Pelosi. (Let's all pause for a moment of respectful silence to consider what THAT must be like.) Shudder.

One word: unconstitutional. Regardless of political slant, I find it hard to believe that anyone can argue that fact.

Criminal is another word that comes to mind. Asinine is another. (Imposing "a tax of 10% on the cost of indoor tanning services, effective immediately". Seriously. Um. Seriously?? Hey, while we're at it - for extra kicks and jollies, let's impose a tax on all fried foods, high fructose corn syrup, Betty Crocker's Double Chocolate Chunk Brownies, beer, not exercising, hotdogs, not getting enough sleep, sleeping too much, ergonomically unfriendly work environments, promiscuous sex, artificial sweeteners, running with a stick in your hand, genetically modified food, not eliminating stress, having too high a BMI, 7 Layer dip on Lay's potato chips, jaywalking, and any and every other thing that we've deemed to be unhealthy -- and therefore off limits and worthy of penalizing under the stipulations of this new nifty health care plan. Oh, wait. That's right. They're gonna! I mean, isn't that the great thing about America - we're free to make our own stupid choices, rather than have a bunch of liberal judges and fringe kooks make them for us?) Ahem. There are actually a whole lotta words that come to mind when considering this bill. ...I'll refrain from sharing.

While most everyone can agree that our current healthcare system could benefit from some fairly firm tweaking, THIS...pile of bull roar. Is not the answer. For the sweet love of sanity, 2400+ pages of pork-pie filling with zero transparency is not reform. If this was really about affordable health care, tort reform and portability would be the main focus - and neither are even mentioned in the redistribution bill. What this is, is a select group of nauseatingly arrogant people flexing their political muscles and giving anyone who disagrees with their absurdity the finger. Because they can. Because their massive egos thrive on the validation and control. Because they are less concerned about the future of our Nation, and more concerned about making sure that their name is mentioned a lot. A LOT lot. Cozy-up-to-my-best-buddy-Oprah-to-help-propagate-my-agenda a lot.

To that I say, please hurry November.

Scratch that. To that I say, please hurry, Lord.

Friends who disagree with me on this issue, you are still my friends. Let's just toss that out there now, in case you were wondering. Well, I still think of you as friends. You may be as we speak using a dab of white-out on your Friends List. But I think we can agree to disagree. Although silent disagreement is probably better. Usually I delight in a good discussion. But on this issue. Not so much.

Since about 10:00 last night, I've felt the need to resurrect Sophie's barf bucket. I've kept it close because so far Zofran isn't cutting it. Our formerly full bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is now gone. Totally. Licked clean. And Russ has a vein in his forehead that very much resembles an epileptic caterpillar. Since I'm not entirely comfortable leaving Sophie an orphan, this is where I exhale and move on.

The end.

Oh, except...

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Yep. I'm pretty sure our Founding Fathers would be reaching for the bucket right about now.

11 comments:

Val said...

Well said! And might I add, classy throw-up bucket. =)

Russ said...

The bucket gives me nightmares, but it is classy. You usually don't even consider politics, but you are ready for November. I wonder how many millions of people are like you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kristy for putting into words what I am feeling! Hallmark couldn't have done it better.

~Tiffny

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought Russell was ghost-writing for you until I got to the end. Didn't know my daughter was such a savvy political analyst! Good job! You took some of the words right out of my mouth. Dad came in yesterday for lunch in a funk about this. Washington is OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE! They have an agenda and don't give a rip what we think. I feel as if I'm not living in America anymore. :(

On a lighter note, did Sophie and Sol get to play in the snow on Sunday? Is it still on the ground? We had a much warmer day yesterday, and today seems to be another.

Love, Mooms

Jamie said...

I agree with everything you said. None of the Dims in Washington give a rip about what we think. I was starting to miss your posts again. :-)

Kristy said...

I agree with you too!

And I am glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your list of hazards. When I saw, "running with a stick" I got the uncontrollable giggles.

jakeandjoanna said...

Can I get an AMEN up in here!! I've been feeling very nauseated myself over this whole situation...I think we might need a community barf bucket! Thanks for writing about this...well done!

Anonymous said...

I’m so glad we don’t include politics in our friendship. Although, you certainly have a way of making me see the other side of things. It’s very healthy. Here at the School of Public Health, the dean is ready to create a new holiday in commemoration. :-)

~Nicole

Taylor said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I couldn't even watch the "vote." I just couldn't. And I had to stay away from bloggie land Monday morning as well.

I astounds me how many people equate health insurance with health care.
(P.S. I am a blog lurker with a blog of my own. Just had to come out of lurk-dome and comment!)

Not quite the Bradys said...

"running with a stick in your hand"... lolololololol!!!! Thank you for posting this. Made my day. Nice to hear someone besides me saying it for a change.

Connie said...

You go girl! Not only was it well said, I want to know when you're running for office. Your writing is so entertaining as well as well-informed. Keep it up

Related Posts with Thumbnails