Thursday, March 4, 2010

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Sophie has done something to her leg. I'm not sure what. Russ thinks it's a muscle strain, most likely caused by over-exertion this weekend while vigorously playing with her cousin, Solomon. I'm not so sure. I mean, it's plausible, but Sophie is by definition "vigorous". She runs, jumps, hops, skips, spins, cavorts, and acts like a zoo animal pretty much all day, every day. If Sophie is still, she is either conked asleep or under anesthesia. Period. So to imagine her getting a strain, especially one significant enough to make her not want to breathe (yes, she informed me it hurts her leg to breathe), from running around Mooms and Fafa's front yard with Sol...well, I'm not sure I'm buying it.

However. (And this is a big however.) I am not the athlete in the family. I have no experience with "muscle fatigue" or any other sports-related ailment. I did experience stomach fatigue one time from foundering on chips and dip on a camping trip, if you count camping as a sport - which I do. And I also have that old football injury from the sixth grade. Yes, we all know the one, and it counts. Anything that involves a ball, that leaves my two pinkies looking forever gnarled and wonky COUNTS, by golly, as a sports injury. ...But, granted, muscles are not really my area of expertise. I defer to Russ in all matters muscular.

I do know Sophie is in quite a bit of pain, and I'm doing my darndest to keep her distracted while we await our appointment with Dr. Livingston this afternoon. (Dr. Livingston, who Sophie calls "Dr. Livingston, I presume" every time his name is mentioned. *giggle*) She is now settled on the couch watching "Elmo Visits the Doctor". With a heavy sigh she requested that I dig it from the archives of "baby movies", I imagine to help her draw solace in her time of fragility and great emotional distress.


To say this morning has been a challenge is a bit of an understatement.

Every request for movement is met with grimaces. Every actual movement, even the teeniest bump or jiggle, brings winces of pain and tears. It's really a pitiful thing to behold. I thought maybe some Tylenol and a warm bath would help, so after dosing her up, I carefully carried her to our tub. My theory was that the jets would maybe help ease any muscle spasms she might be having, or at the very least would help in the quest for distraction and attitude improvement.

So I lowered her into the warm water. And there she sat. Perfectly still - looking at me. Lip quivering.

I thought perhaps we were dabbling a bit in the dramatic, so I told her to just soak for awhile. "Lie back. Enjoy the bubbles. Live Mama's dream!", I told her. And I walked away.

A few minutes later the little invalid requested some apple juice. And some crushed ice! In a dolphin cup. With a hot pink twirly sparkle-straw. Drawing from my memories of not feeling so swell, I thought what the heck, I can let her be Fancy Nancy for a little while. I had her Highness throw in a "please" and obliged her request.

I walked away again and when I returned her cup was empty. Her mood seemed to have improved and the dolphin had been recruited to help assist her in transporting cups of soapy water from one side of the tub to the other. Cue the splashy giggles. Life was looking up!

I got busy doing some laundry and when I went back to check on her, I noticed that the dolphin cup was perfectly placed on the edge of the tub. And it was full of apple juice again!

"Uh...Sophie? I thought you drank your apple juice."

"Well..." Guilty expression. "You know how my leg hurts so bad, right, Mama?"

"Yes. Yes, I do."

"Well..." More sheepish looks. "The bathroom is really far away."

Call me my mother's daughter, but I didn't get it.

"Do you need me to carry you to the bathroom, Sophie?"

Significant pause, followed by one last uncertain glance over at the cup. "Well...not anymore."

******

Aaaaaaand that's the end of that cup. ...RIP, Flipper. Those muscle strains will get'cha every time.

11 comments:

anniemanis said...

Oh my WORD! I cannot believe the child peed in a cup! So funny! Love it! I'm so glad you are back in the blogging world, Kritter. You are SUCH a talented writer! I love reading the things you write!

Anonymous said...

The three Knellers girls have really missed their "Sophie videos" it's the time my girls belly laugh the most - not to mention how much I love reading your prose, Kristy - it reminds me of how you talk - I can just hear you!. Welcome back!

emily said...

I'm so glad you're back to blogging! I've missed reading about Sophie...and this post was hysterical!

Russ said...

I am never drinking apple juice from Sophie. Especially if she tells me that her leg has been hurting.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I didn't get it either. The little yellow "juice" caught me completely by surprise! Love, Mooms P.S. I laughed out loud at Russell's post, too!

jakeandjoanna said...

I kind of feel the same way about Ben...if he is still...he is asleep (he's never been under anesthesia). =) Although the way his bed looks in the morning I'm not so sure he is even still when asleep.

"Dr. Livingston, I presume" made me laugh out loud. Where does she come up with this stuff??? That's hysterical!

And yes, I can kind of relate to "the bathroom is really far away." Although it hasn't come to peeing in cups for me…not yet anyway. ha ha

"Live mama's dream" and "little invalid"...oh, man, soooo glad you are back to blogging!! Now I know where Sophie "comes up with this stuff”!!

Russ said...

joanna,

The "Dr. Livingston, I presume" is from me. Everything else is Kristy's fault, I mean, responsibility.

Anonymous said...

I kept giggling as I read this, then as I kept reading the payoff made me guffaw. Seriously, like an old man. :o)

Btw, Ian is in mourning that it is officially too late for us to have a kid that could be old enough to marry Sophie when she grows up.

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

Sweet little blankie sniffer.

Solomon has been complaining of pains in his legs, too, since we got home. Either they both strained them together, or one got the idea from the other!

Love,
Lisa

Kritter Krit said...

Hey Lis,

On the day of the Great Tree Adventure, Mooms said they ran...for a LOOOONG time. Crazy long. Something like an hour - with very little resting. And apparently it was hard running. Panting running. Then they went and picked up BIG logs and sticks (seriously, Sol was carrying one the size of himself at one point when I looked out the window.)

There's no telling how creatively they wrecked themselves that day.

Anonymous said...

LOL......GOODNESS. I dont know what to say on this one.

Matt

Related Posts with Thumbnails