Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dumb with a Heaping Side of Dumber.

Oh, and while we're right here in the craptastic meaty goodness of things, can someone pretty please explain to me how a health care reform bill that gives ZERO regard to this nation's hardworking physicians and nurses can possibly be a good thing? At some point with pay cuts, debt, increased patient loads - on an already ridiculously draining schedule, law suits, suffocating amounts of paperwork for reimbursement, the rising cost of malpractice insurance, etc. etc., it's just not worth it anymore. Even for doctors who absolutely love medicine, who are selflessly dedicated to their patients, it's just too much to ask. Everyone in favor of this bill keeps mentioning the sick and the poor. What about the people who work to the brink of exhaustion to care for those sick and poor? Does it really make sense to alienate and abuse our medical professionals, only to turn around and say, "Take care of me!!" Isn't that kind of like biting the hand that feeds you? Seriously, I dare you to find another profession ON THE PLANET that would be willing to go through college, medical school, interning, residency, specialty training, fellowship training, CME training the length of their career, only to be told it doesn't qualify you to make money. In fact, what it qualifies you to do is work more, and more, and more to earn less, and less, and less. YES! Hot-diggity, sign me up for that! The thought is ludicrous. At some point, for Pete's sake, enough is enough.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony? We reach the point where we have medical care for all, only to find we don't have any good physicians left to care for any of us. That's actually kind of funny. Horrifying, but funny.

Dad, for all you give to the little rural community you love so dearly, despite the hassles and hardships, I admire you so much. Thank you for all you've taught me through your example.

10 comments:

Russ said...

Wow! You are in this conversation really deep. I agree with your post completely. Another truly misinformed part of the "celebration" that we are being forced to witness is the fact that we now have a right to health care. If this were true, that would mean that I have the right to the labor of someone else (e.g., a doctor, a nurse, or a medical technician).

Maybe I am missing something, but our founding documents declare that rights come from our Creator, not from government. I think the problem is that people have it backwards -- that is, they think rights come from government. People don't understand Thomas Paine: "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." We are rapidly moving to the intolerable state.

Anonymous said...

Amen Kristy!! You have put into words what I have been saying, feeling, thinking. Everyone may have healthcare, but there won't be any doctors worth anything to see you. The caring, hardworking doctors will no longer be around because they are mentally drained and cannot afford to stay in practice. I work with a wonderful doctor that really cares, just like your father and it is just sad they dont get paid what they are worth now, much less later on.

~Lora Lee

Josh and Margo said...

I agree that the system needs help and change. But, I don't think any system is perfect and you will never make everyone happy. As a nurse, I don't feel overworked, underpaid, abused, etc. I don't know of many doctors who work at the hospital where I do that feel that way either. The doctors (and I) don't have to worry about malpractice insurance either because our employer takes care of us if someone sues. I am also not forced to work overtime. I did however feel that way at my previous employer and it was not good at all. What's the difference. I worked for a "normal" American hospital before and now I work in a Socialized U.S. Government hospital setting that coincidently has also been rated as the best healthcare in America. I don't want to start a big argument here but everyone know we need to change the current system so why not try out some changes to see if it helps. You never know, it might just work and if it doesn't, I am hopeful we can change things again until something does work better.

Kritter Krit said...

Josh,

I actually hesitated to even include nurses in this argument because, really, when you get down to it, the problems doctors are facing are pretty specific to only them. (I included nurses because you're a vital part of doctor/patient/care relationship.) As you said, you're not a private-practice physician, paying all of these costs yourself, while having your income steadily whacked at. You work at a facility for Veterans that's paid for by all Americans (as I feel it should be in the case of Veterans), that services a small percentage of Americans. It's hard to compare apples to oranges.

But it looks like we're going to be forced to change, so we'll see what happens. If good things come from this, I will be absolutely THRILLED. I'm just pretty apprehensive in light of some of the pretty obvious flaws in the plan (as I see them).

Don't worry about starting an argument. I know there are (at least) a few issues we don't see eye-to-eye on. I'm okay with that. Non-combative discussion or agreeing to disagree is okay with me. And you can't help being annoying. Just kidding. ;-)

Jamie said...

I feel for your dad. I fear many like him are just going to check out and do something else.

Not quite the Bradys said...

AMEN! Like. Like like like.

And THANK YOU for putting in the part about "the "celebration" we are being forced to witness". So exactly right. Anyone read "The Hunger Games"?

Anonymous said...

Yep! Amen sister! You're right on the money...it makes me so sick, and so sad to see what it will do to our country, and our healthcare system. Albeit, it's not always perfect now, but it's run by real people, not God, and to see a probable disintegration is going to be so heartbreaking...

Celeste

Anonymous said...

Your dad is awesome. Dr. Bob. He is also a fantastic Sunday School teacher!

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

Well-said, daughter. It is the ultimate irony. Doctors are leaving the profession in droves. Who wants to spend from age 5 to 30 (and longer) learning to be a doctor, not to mention the thousands upon thousands that college and medical school cost, only to find out that bureaucrats and insurance companies (who have NO medical knowledge) will tell you how to run your practice and how much you can charge AND will waste your valuable time away from your patients making you prove why said patient needs a particular test, etc.! A little ranting from your Mooms

Lizz said...

I agree with you 100% on this issue! This bill is not going to help nearly as much as it is going to hurt America! This bill is not going to make it possible for everyone to afford health care/insurance it is going to make it lawful that everyone has to! If so many people cannot afford to have insurance then how on earth is making them pay a fine of $750 for not having it going to help them? And what about all the illegals that don't pay taxes? They are not going to be forced to have health insurance. There will be no way to make them. And since hospitals are not allowed to turn anyone away, those people are going to continue to get free healthcare on our dime!

I would also like to add something that really may be going off topic. If our country is in such peril then why are actors/actresses and sports players getting paid so freaking much? Next thing you know the government is going to step into that industry and demand their cut from it too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails