Friday, September 25, 2009

The Great Finger-Sharpening Incident


This afternoon Sophs came running up to me, holding a mangled, hamburger-like tip of a pointy finger. She had been "practicing her letters", singing to herself - looking so grown-up and composed I could barely stand it. Next thing I know she's wailing. Owwwwooooooo! Say whaa...? How did we all of a sudden go from a...b...c..."How do you make a 'd'", to a potential ER situation, you ask? I certainly ask!

Blood dripping onto the carpet, I calmly asked her what in the sweet Jimmy had happened?

With a slightly perplexed look on her face, she responded: "Uhh. Well." She looked at the wall. Scratched her chin with her finger stump.

Waiting for an answer, I started hypothesizing. "Did you bite your fingernail down to the cuticle? ...Cut yourself with the craft scissors...the toenail clippers? Have a Freddie Krueger moment with Daddy's saw in the garage?"

"Oh, noooo! I promise I didn't do that, Mama!"

I stared at her, waiting. Waiting. (Im)patiently waiting. Finally there came a sigh. Then a fairly significant pause. Followed by...

"Well. See. I'm not totally positive. But I think I may have sharpened my finger with the pencil sharpener."

******

Rather than get into the fundamentals of how one "accidentally" mistakes a part of their body for a writing utensil that needs a finer point, here she is. Breaking it down for y'all.



P.S. You'll notice Sophie's voice still has a slight nasal quality from the tonsil/adenoid surgery. Yes. There are a few details to catch you up on.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I love her to pieces!

Anonymous said...

yeah, you're back to blogging. yeah, i know that i said you should get on facebook but i changed my mind. you should go back to blogging. great video. can't wait to see you guys.
walt

Val said...

Yey welcome back! Poor li'l Sophie! I love her description of the incident. =)

PS: Hooray for Chick-fil-a!

Kristen said...

C'mon mom, all you need is a band-aid...LOL! Priceless ;)

Jennie said...

You two make quite a comedy team! Love the video, and especially love her simple solution of a Band-Aid.

Bobbie said...

OMG! LOL How could you NOT know a bandaid was the answer... Sheesh mom! I love how it ACCIDENTALLY happened. "It just turned" LOL She's so cute!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Sopie hurt herself, but a bit relieved that I am not the only person in the world ever to do this (about 35 years ago!). Will be watching my two year old daughter (also a a refluxer and nose stuffer) like a hawk around pencil sharpeners.
Love your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails