Thursday, June 18, 2009

Isn't That Exactly How You Guys Would Describe Parenting?

Just wanted to keep all of you non-Facebookers in the loop.

Today I spoke with the director of the maternity house where the birthmother is staying. (As you know from my last post, we were scheduled to get to go with the birthmother soon to her OB appointment and learn the sex of the baby.) Well, it seems before she got settled at the house, Sybil was staying with a friend. A friend who apparently talked endlessly about the "fun" parts of parenting: how cute and cuddly babies are, how you always have somebody to "play with", how fun their little baby noises and antics are, how fun it is to dress them up in cute clothes. Fun, fun, nothing but big carnivals of fun!

Apparently as they were carrying stuff into her new room, the director reminded Sybil about needing to plan a time to get together with us. Before Sybil could respond, the friend jumped in and announced, "Oh, no, that's off. She's changed her mind about the whole adoption thing."

After the friend had tootalooed on her merry way, Jenny pulled Sybil away from the rest of the girls to talk with her about what had happened since their previous "110 % sure" conversation. Sybil replied, "Well, I just think it might be kinda fun to keep the baby." (Babies are pretty fun, you know. That's exactly what I was thinking during the rocket-vomit/syringe-her-to-keep-her-alive years of Sophie's life. Man, this is fun! ...Actually, I might have thought that a few times, but I'm pretty sure I was medicated.)

So that's where we stand now. As disheartening as all of this was to hear (especially when things felt so solid a few days ago), I really do think I feel okay about things. Of course we will be just absolutely THRILLED if this new little babe joins the family, but we will also be okay if that's not what comes out of this situation. We know that God has our family in His hands, and despite the fact that we might wanna spit a few nails when things look like they're not shaping up "right", we know His will is perfect. It is. And when you look at it from that perspective, everything just seems to feel more peaceful. ...Maybe even more serene than the circumstances really are. You know what I mean?

Thanks for praying, and we'll keep everyone informed as this roller coaster ride twists and turns. Wheeeee! It's obviously gonna be a bumpy one!

A couple more cute pictures of Sophie-doodle. Now that's fun, right? ;) (*The child won't wear the teeniest of clips. But a hat with a gargantuan flower the size of a second head? She's all for that!)

10 comments:

Kristen said...

WTF?? Ok, I missed this on FB and my heart goes out to you. You are taking this news much more calmly than I would (doesn't help that I am stressed from spending the morning with Fia in the ER - probably in such a bad mood that I shouldn't be posting publically, sorry) That said, I really am so sorry that you have to go through this turmoil and I do hope that the girl gets some sense knocked into her. However, I do believe everything happens for a reason, and if this is not in the cards for you, something better is coming your way. (((HUGS))) buddy...at least I am ending on a positive note :)

Kritter Krit said...

I love that all of our friends are rip-roaring mad - ready to punch out a birthmother (ha!), while Russ and I are uncharacteristically (wow, that's a long word!) chilled.

And wouldn't you describe those delightful times we had when the girls were little as "fun"?? Hee. ...Now I've got the giggles. ;)

Hope Fia is feeling much, much better. Thinking about you guys. Love you, buds.

Anonymous said...

WOW - I think Sybil needs a look in to reality. Maybe she should spend the day with a really refluxy (sp) baby...or spend the day holding down a screaming child during medical tests, then she would know exactly how "EASY" parenting is.

I will continue to pray for her to make a better decision.

Heidi

Kritter Krit said...

Yeah, Sybil is in a tough spot. I know this whole thing has to be extremely hard emotionally on her. I don't mean to make it sound like I think she's being intentionally cruel. I know she's not. I just don't think birthparents understand the flip-side of the coin - what it feels like to be on the other side of adoption - praying and hoping, only to be yo-yo'd back and forth. Ugh.

The good news is God knows the outcome of this situation. Even as we fret and make ourselves emotionally frazzled, He is in control. Our prayer is His will be done.

I just wish I had one teeny OUNCE of patience - that would make this whole process a lot easier. (In fact, that would probably make most things easier, huh?) Quick! Somebody sing the "Have Patience" song! =)

Anonymous said...

As I read your blog, I can tell there's quite a bit of immaturity surfacing. I understand how frustrating that must be to hear.
I've also had the experience of standing in the middle and taking a baby away from his birth mom and handing him over to new parents. There were tears on both sides...so I know there are deep emotions for all parties.
I am glad that you have peace right now, and know that God has a perfect plan for your family. Praying for you in this situation---and praying for the patience and understanding that you need,
Sharon

Chantelle said...

This has to be a very stressful time for you guys. Praying for God's will in it all! (and ps - where did you find that hat? i want one for my girls!)

Anonymous said...

I've really been behind in my computering, but I found this today, and my little grandchild looks like a doll in this get-up! Love, Mooms

Candelabras said...

Thanks for your excellent site. I have found a similar site containing excellent information on Candelabras at http://Candelabra.org

Parenting Network said...

My heart goes out to you. I think she needs to spend some time with my children and discover that parenting is not always fun and they are not always in that cute little baby phase forever.

http://getsuccessfulparentingtipsnow.com/

http://getsuccessfulparentingtipsnow.com/

Patrice said...

Well, definitely parenting is not an easy task however we love and cherish it as our children will make us more more inspired on working in order to provide their needs and make them happy.

Nice photos of Sophie by the way. She's so cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails