Tuesday, May 12, 2009

American Idol - It's Gonna Be A Ding-Dong!

I'm going to have to get ahold of my buddy Sally for a little British-American translation on the whole "ding-dong" comment that Simon made last night. I'm not sure if that was a jab at Kris - that he was insinuating that it's going to be a knock-out for Adam. Or if a "ding-dong" is a close, exciting race, like maybe a "barn-burner"...or something.

Regardless, I was thrilled to see Kris make it into the finale. Woo stinkin' HOOOOO! I would have preferred a Gokey-Allen showdown for the final show, but I figured that wasn't going to happen, so I guess I'll take what I can get. (Didn't you guys think Danny did an amazing job on his departure song? Wow. He was definitely giving it all he had!)

It should be a good one next week!

******

(I've included my synopsis of Tuesday night's performances. I didn't get it written until Wednesday morning, and then Sophs and I had a busy day and I never got around to putting it out there. But after talking to Jen this morning, I decided to go ahead and include it. ...Better late than never?)

Let me just get this out of the way, first and foremost: If tonight's program is interrupted by exuberant little men, jumping in to give weather updates, I will not be a happy girlie. I might even have to throw a teeny fit, in fact. It's raining. Raining, raining, raining, raining. It has rained for three straight weeks. We get it. We know it's still doing it. We have no hope that it will stop doing it anytime soon. Please, oh, please dear weathermen, do not jump in during Kris's performance to tell me about the rain.

All righty, then.

Danny is up first and the judges have chosen a song for him from the iconic Terrence Trent Darby. Excuse me, whoooo? Danny sounds good tonight. It's all grit, all the time, baby! Yeah! We all know how I love Gritty Danny. (How many pairs of fabulous eyewear does this boy have? He and Lenscrafters must be BFF.) All of the judges seem pleased with his performance. They thought he was dope vocally, but desperate from a dance standpoint. I'm in agreement with all of that. Except for Paula and Simon's fake fighty noises while Ryan is trying to talk. Ick.

For his second song, Danny picked "You Are So Beautiful". (Cue the swooning girls.) Danny does look pretty dapper tonight, but I have to tell you, this one is kind of lulling me to sleep. It seems like it's dragging, and it's a bit too I'm-trying-to-turn-the-ladies-into-putty-in-my-hands. It feels kind of "fake romantic", you know what I mean? Apparently the judges do not. They're lovin' it. Kara is stunned. Paula is all breathy and flushing. And Simon is talking about "vocal masterclasses". So it seems I'm in the minority on this one. Ryan is talking to Danny about what he thinks of his performance. Danny would like everyone to know he's not worried about the O-pinions. He's "tuning it all out and having fun".

Next we have Kris with "Apologize". Yay, Sophie will be so happy! (Funny story, one time when Sophs was in big trouble - I don't even remember what for, she asked Russell on her way to the wood shed, "Daddy, wait, wait! Is it too late to 'pologize?!" Giggle.) I think Kris did a good job of singing this. Good, but not great. I was a little disappointed, actually. I felt like he enunciated too much (or maybe I'm just used to the way One Republic sings it.) I actually agree with Kara - I was waiting for him to put some fabulous "Kris spin" on things. Ooo, acoustic would've been amazing! Paula's talking about the "loud bum note" at the end (which we all know had nothing on Danny's "bum note" last week). Now Simon is blaming the other judges for Kris not playing the guitar. They're fighting back and forth. Luuvly. I'd be willing to bet Fringe is getting lopped off for yet another week. Russ will be so pleased.

For his second song, Kris is singing a song by Kanye West. I'm nervous. Rap? This could get ugly fast. Oh.my.goodness. An a cappella beginning. With the guitar. So pretty. I love it! Even now that he's in the perkified parts, I'm lovin' it. Yay, yay, yay! I never vote. I'm going to vote tonight. (Lee is apparently not moved. He just came in from the baseball game with Russ and Sophs, and he has declared Kris's performance "annoying". Hmm.)

Time for Adam with "One" by U2. (Simon got a personal call from Bono, granting Adam permission to sing this song. Simon wants to make sure everyone is aware of that. Simon personally spoke to Bono, did you hear him, peeps?!) Not loving this one, I have to tell you. Lots of screaming. Lots of tongue-sticking-out screaming. However, Simon loves his song choice for Adam. (And he is now booing Randy for having an opinion slightly different from his own.) Kara's rambling on about the greatness of it all, Paula's rambling on about how miserable it is to sit next to the brilliance that is Simon, Simon's rambling on about how awful it will be if Adam isn't the winner. Yakkity, yak yak. I'm tuning Simon out henceforth from this point forward.

Adam's personal song choice is "Crying'" by Aerosmith. Steven Tyler. This should be RIIIIGHT up Adam's alley. Yep. It is. Oh, wait. He's mixin' it up. Taking screaming to a whole.new.level. Yow-ser. Of course, he can do no wrong in Simon's eyes. Simon would like to remind America that it's very easy to assume that Adam will sail through. However, he would like America to not assume anything. He would like America to vote for Adam. ...Because he has "earnt it".

Serenity.

I want the final two to be Kris and Danny. ...But I don't think that's gonna happen, so I'm pulling for a Humble vs. Not-So-Humble finale.

What say 'ye?

7 comments:

jakeandjoanna said...

I'm with you...I wanted to see Kris and Danny in the finale with Kris taking it all! At least he made it...Kris has been my favorite from the beginning (and not just because he's from Arkansas)!! I've never been a fan of Adam, never. He definitely gives me the creeps and I'm pretty sure I won't be purchasing an album of his, ever. Go Kris Go!!

Anonymous said...

Just an opinion with nothing solid to back it up--but I think the finals between Chris and Adam may be the best thing that could have happened to Chris. I think many of people who are attracted to Chris are also Danny supporters. A final between those two would have been a toss up. I think a lot of the Danny supporters will now go to Chris. Way too many people sense the ick factor with Adam. The other thing Chris has going for him is that the judges are trying to cram Adam down our throats. The harder the judges, especially Simon, try to push Adam on us the harder people are going to push him away. If Chris will remain true to himself and bring in solid performances next week, I think he could win by a big margin. Go Chris.

Kritter Krit said...

Anon- I think Adam would MORE THAN agree with you. I think he also thinks the more Simon tries to cram him down our throats, the better chance his competitor has of winning. Did you notice after Simon went on and on and ON about his performance, basically declaring him the winner right then, Adam was quick to point out how well Danny and Kris had done? That's not modesty; that's smarts. He was trying to diffuse some of what Simon had piled on. He knows America doesn't like the Puppet Master and his "subtle" attempts to force his agenda.

Courtney said...

I haven't watched a single episode this year, but I still love hearing your commentary!

Anonymous said...

Simon Cowell, don't you just love him? You can have him - we are all a little fed up with him!
So, what did he say exactly?
A 'ding-dong' is usually a fight - as in the bell that goes ding dong before a boxing match!Glad you put that at the beginning, I don't read all your American Idol stuff as it doesn't mean anything to me, sorry. More funny Sophie videos for my girls, please!
Is Russ planning anymore trips to the UK? Come and visit us!
Love Sally

Anonymous said...

P.S. What's a barn burner?
Sally

Anonymous said...

This post is a week old now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails