Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Well, when you put it THAT way!

The other day we set out for a little adventure to the mall to find Sophie some new pants and shirts.

What's wrong with her old ones, you ask? That was precisely the question I asked when I started trying to squeeze her into things from her closet. What is wrong with these stupid clothes! I spent a good several minutes trying to stuff her feet into her fall shoes, convinced there was paper or something wadded up at the end. Sophie just stared at me, like, pull it together, mom.

I'm not sure when it happened. Yesterday it seemed like everything fit. I guess she's been subtlely growing. (Ha! Certainly the only subtle thing Sophie does!) All of a sudden, the sleeves on her shirts look like she's a Stuffed Sausage wearing dress-up clothes and her pants look like she's waiting for a flood.Huh. Maybe that's why she ate two hotdogs for lunch yesterday and requested a third before I was halfway through my turkey sandwich.

After hitting the clearance racks at several of our favorite stores, we stopped in The Gap to look for a special occasions dress. Remember the Sugar Plum Ball last year? Sophie is thrilled to have received another invitation from her cousin, Ella, to attend again this year. Ella's excited about getting all girlied up - the dress, the sparkly hair clips, the shiny shoes. Sophie would gladly go in her underwear, so long as she got to do the macarena for hours upon end.

I was perusing the clothes rack (while Sophie was systematically trying on every hat, scarf, and mitten on the table behind me), when a saleslady came over - squealing and pointing to Sophie. I whipped around from what I was focused on, thinking oh, sheesh, what has she done?

"Oh my gosh, her CURLS! Those CHEEKS! Those expressive EYES! You have to enter her in the Gap Cute Baby Contest!!"

Um. No. No, thank you. Ick. How 'bout a Most Obedient Child Contest? Attentive Listener? Cheerful Attitude? Child-Who-Stays-In-Her-Bed-All-Night-And-Refrains-From-Putting-Berries-Up-Her-Nose? Got any contests like that? We'd lose, of course, but those are the traits we're working on acquiring these days.

I guess my polite smile/slightly horrified look reflected my disdain for Kiddie Contests. Anything that feels "pageant-y" at all. Urp.

"You know the prize is a free trip to New York to shoot for the catalog, plus something like $5000 worth of free clothes from the Gap."

Ah, that's nice - blah, blah, blah...hold up. Free Gap clothes?? Five THOUSAND dollars worth? Holy, you've-got-to-be-crappin-me shopping bliss! I tried to keep from jumping up and down and bear-hugging the woman.

And where exactly do we sign up our cuteness?

8 comments:

sarah p said...

DO IT.

DO IT.

seriously.

DO IT.

just think: when she wins: you can come and visit us here in New York City!!!!

Kritter Krit said...

I actually thought of that! A little after-the-fact, admittedly, since all my brains cells were honed in to the "FREE CLOTHES!!" part of things. =)

Lisa said...

Yep- I agree. She could seriously win. Let's face it....the girl's too cute to handle. I hope you signed her up!

.....I hope she'll share her $5000 certificate with her cousins....


I didn't know Jen was coming---fun! Hope you guys have a great visit.

Kristen said...

I totally agree, sign your cutie up!

jakeandjoanna said...

I can see her cute little face on the cover of the catalog now...go for it!!

Kathy said...

Just for the record, everything in me is against that sort of exploitation with a child but, I have to agree, I'm certain she would win and the clothes AND the fame would be fun. I can see her directing the photo shoot now.
Do it.
Kathy

Kritter Krit said...

Oh, my gosh, you're right. She'd totally be bossing around the camera people - telling them where to put the lights...how to work the camera.

I can see it.

After about 15 minutes, they'd be looking for a less "expressive" child for the shoot. Hee! =)

Russ said...

Check out my blog for how to nominate Kristy for a 2008 Weblog Award:

http://depriest-mpu.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails