Saturday, November 22, 2008

Plan For Today: I'm Going "Lloyd Dobler"

In the ways of the great Lloyd Dobler, I'm going to decide to be in a good mood, and I'm going to be in one. If need be, I'm going to follow the example of Bethany Actually and give myself a time-out. Then I'm going to fake perkiness 'til the real thing arrives.

Yeparooski. That's the plan.

Those of you who know me, know I'm extremely easy to please. To a "simple" degree, actually, and often to the amusement of others. I find mildly funny things hilarious. I find things that most people would consider mundane interesting. I see beauty in the ordinary. I find joy in little things:

~a bathtub full of bubbles, a good book, a cup of hot cocoa
~the perfect parking spot
~oven-ready lasagna noodles (they save so much time!)
~a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato, some potato salad, a really good dill pickle
~the smudge-vaporizing power of Windex (little finger prints all over everything? poof, gone!)
~pulling Sophie in a wagon, while she collects "treasures" from our walk
~when leftovers fit just perfectly into the Tupperware container
~the smell of a football field on a crisp, fall night

...But, then, who doesn't delight in those things, right?

I'm not a grumpy person by nature. Most of the time, I love life.

That said, I'm admittedly not the greatest at finding peace outside of my circumstances. Rising above The Crapper. Pushing down the pain. Patiently pressing through when I'm bumping into walls and clutching trashcans. Finding a merry heart, despite the fear.

I'm especially not very good at these things when a lengthy amount of time passes without an end in sight. Waiting, especially without any promise of what you're desiring, is so discouraging. It wears on you physically. It frazzles you emotionally. It defeats you spiritually.

It changes you.

I really wish it didn't. I know there are those who are better at pushing though junk than I am. People with horrible afflictions, who somehow remain fully themselves - active, happy, calm and content. (With the help of some good ju-ju, perhaps?)

I'm not really one of those people. When I have trouble moving around, when I'm unable to drive, when I'm just kind-of there, trapped with my thoughts, I have trouble distracting myself from the wonkadoo and refocusing on all things daisy-like. Rising above the seemingly neverending funk is a bit of a challenge for me. (Russell, don't you dare yell out, "Understatement!" ...I know, I know.)

I ask you, if you would, to please pray for a couple of very specific things today.

1.) For Russell. That he would have a pleasant, relaxing day, watching football under a blanket in our cozy hotel. That I will have a non-needy day, and that a rest from caring for me will rejuvenate him mentally and physically.

2.) For me. That I will feel a sense of encouragement, despite the seeming lack of progress that we have made over the past several days of testing. That today will be nausea-free and the dizziness will be diminished to a degree that doing some Christmas shopping at the mall nearby might be possible (should the games on tv become dull). And mostly for a peace that transcends my circumstances and surpasses my understanding - one that comes from knowing that God cares for me and is in control.

3.) For both of us, patience and a good attitude as we hang out and wait for standby on Monday...and throw wads of sweaty cash at the City Centre Holiday Inn Express.

Yes, indeedy. We're doing our part to build the economy in Rochester. You're welcome, fine MinneSOOOtites. =)

******

10 comments:

Jennie said...

I can't imagine how you hold it together at all...I think you are doing a great job.

Oh, and I'm totally with you on a really good dill pickle. Some are just SO good. I will never turn away any dill pickle, but I LOVE when they are extra tasty.

Kritter Krit said...

Thanks, Jennie. You're a sweetie!

How did you find my blog, by the way? I'm trying to remember how I found you - through Sarah, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Kristy,
Hang in there and know that I Love You and am praying endlessly for you.
Love you,
Aunt Becky

Jennie said...

Yes, through Sarah...who I found through Rachel...who I found through my friend Rebekah. But I've met Sarah and Rachel in person, and my uncle is from Mena and knows Sarah's family. I bet he knows yours, too, maybe? Aren't you from there? I don't know if I want to tell you who my uncle is or not. : )

Kritter Krit said...

Yep. We're from good 'ole Mena, and since everybody knows everybody there, now I'm dying to know...

WHO'S YOUR UNCLE?? =)

Jennie said...

Ken Marshall. Or does he go by Kenny? We call him Uncle Kenny.

Kritter Krit said...

Wait a minute! Ken Marshall. That rings a bell. I think he was Russ's baseball coach in highschool.

Next time you're around Uncle Kenny, ask him if he remembers Russell DePriest.

Jennie said...

He was a football coach for a long time - now he is a superintendent. His wife Cathy is a home-ec teacher. Small world! I'll ask him if he knows Russ!

Russ said...

Jennie,

Don't ask Coach Marshall if he knows me. Ask him if he has read any good books lately. He always asked me that.

Russell

Jennie said...

Will do! Hopefully I'll see him at Christmas - didn't get to see him at Thanksgiving.

Related Posts with Thumbnails