Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day Two at Mayo: Still Nothing To Report, Except I'm Minus Another Plug Of Skin

Today started really early.

We boarded the shuttle at 7:00. Which meant we didn't just have to be awake at 7:00, we had to be ready at 7:00. As in deodorant applied, teethed brushed, bedhead tamed...pleasant personality channeled. For those of you who know me, this thrilled me to my very core. ~Insert appropriate sarcasm.~ Early morning is sooooo not my friend.

By 10:30 we had learned that I most likely do not have fibromyalgia. I have components of it (lack of energy, some nerve pain, etc), but I have several symptoms that do not fit at all (the balance and vision problems, the weird skin stuff, the nausea). Which made me kind of happy, not to get that diagnosis, since most of the doctors I've come across seem to consider fibromyalgia to be a "junk diagnosis". I don't believe that it is. And the Wellness Coach doing my consult and handing out wads of fibromyalgia pamplets this morning certainly doesn't think that it is. But I know, from the massive amount of time I've spent with physicians from various specialties this year, that a lot of doctors don't give much respect or thoughtful consideration to the Big F. ...Which is pretty unfair for the people who have it.

After having some lunch, we headed up to dermatology to get on the Standby List. After about an hour and a half, my beeper went off! It took a lot, but I managed to refrain from jumping up and yelling YAHOOEE! The doctor who examined me didn't see to see any pathology "red flags" in my rashes. She thinks the magic-marker-dots on my arms are maybe an unusual presentation of keratosis pilaris and the redness on my face is early-stage rosacea. (I know, sexy, right?) Both of which contribute to not a lot of prettiness, but neither of which is fatal. However, those conditions don't help explain any of the other funkiness I've been experiencing. So the doctor did some more blood work and took out several plugs on my arm to check for some super-nifty vascular diseases and to definitively rule out lupus. ...Which, yes, we're apparently still coming back to.

*******

PRAYER REQUEST

We just received a call from Mayo and we're pretty frustrated. The test results that have come back aren't revealing anything out of the ordinary. SURPRISE!! Second verse, same as the first. (Meanwhile, I have to collect my pee for 24 hours, again, and store it in our mini hotel fridge, beside the apples and string cheese.)

And the tests that might yield some answers won't be back for several days.

Which basically means we can either return home, without knowing a thing. (Oh, man, I'm getting teary and frustrated just typing that!) Or we can hang out - literally hang out, with nothing at all on the agenda with any physicians, while we wait for test results to filter in over the next couple of weeks. And if we do return home and they need a subsequent test, based on a result that comes back, we would need to be handy to do that test. On the other hand, if nothing comes back, then all we've done is spent wads of additional money to twiddle our thumbs.

Ai-yi-yi. We're just not sure what the right thing to do is.

What we do know is it is impossible for Russ to stay until December, or probably even to return in December. He's already missed a lot of work, carting me to-and-from doctor's appointments this past year. And, as a result, he doesn't have any flex time or vacation time left.

Ugh. (You knew it was coming. The aggravated grunt noise.) Pull some hair out!

We ask you all to pray. If someone cancels or just fails to show up for their balance test tomorrow morning, they could work me in before my cardiology tests in the afternoon. The balance test is a very lengthy test (around 3 1/2 hours). They don't schedule very many per day, which is why they're booked through December.

The more we can get done before Thanksgiving, the better. So that's the prayer: Please, Lord, allow someone to confuse the date of their appointment, so we can steal their spot.

Yep. We're neat.

5 comments:

Russ said...

Woo Hoo! No "crap diagnosis"! Please don't forget to nominate Kristy for a 2008 Weblog Award.

http://depriest-mpu.blogspot.com

Jennie said...

Shoot! I was hoping for some answers. Will pray.

Kritter Krit said...

Wow, go Russ! Thanks for the shout out. Although I think perhaps you are a tad biased in your opinion of what's award-worthy. =)

Thanks, Jennie, for following the blog so closely. Really appreciate the prayers!

Kristen said...

Hang in there...heres to getting bumped up...

BTW I voted, after I think sending Russ my name? Sorry, computer moron! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Kristy,
You are in my prayers!!!! Be ready to have the balance test tomorrow, because I Believe it will happen!!!!
Love you,
Aunt Becky

Related Posts with Thumbnails