Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day One at Mayo: Assimilating Information and Setting Up (Sigh) More Tests

Well, we just had a very busy day of shuffling between waiting rooms. Thank goodness I took a deck of cards with us. We played the dog out of some Gin Rummy.

Early this morning we met with the neurologist who is the "lead" on my case. He sorted through all of the films and reports we brought with us and took a thorough history. Then he did a fairly extensive neurological exam, and, yep, then he set up a barrage of additional tests to be done. And not many of them neurology related. Apparently, from a head standpoint, I look pretty "pristine". (I took that as a compliment.)

My balance issues definitely seem to be stemming from something else. ...But then we knew that before we drove eleven hours. It's the "something" that we can't identify - that's playing Hide-and-Seek in my body. (And it's significantly better at hiding than Sophs, I might add, who stands in the middle of an open room with her eyes closed and yells, "Hey! Can you find ME??")

So. Neat.

I knew it was going to happen - more testing. I guess the insane part of me was hoping the geniuses here would just look at me and go, "HARK! You have blankety blank. ...And here's the ridiculously easy way we're going to fix it."

But nope.

Actually, the appointments they scheduled for me today go through December 28th. (Yes, people who are caring for Sophie in our absence, you read that right.) The thought of spending Thanksgiving and Christmas here made me pretty teary. However, the bulk of the tests, for now anyway, are scheduled through next Wednesday. We're hoping to squeeze the others that are scattered here and there on the calendar in on "standby". (Standby is code for: park yourself in a waiting room for eight hours and hope you get worked in. Along with the twenty-ish other people hoping to be worked in, so they, too, can return to their home.)

Ugh.

So, end of Day One...basically nothing to report. Except:

1.) Russ got quite the workout today, pushing me around a nineteen-floor building (which spanned probably four football fields). Big place. Nutty big.

2.) Mayo is the friendliest place on Earth. It's Disneyland with wheelchairs. Seriously, I've never met a nicer group of people. The neurologist was even nice! Read that slowly and take it in, peeps. The neurologist was nice. It's really incredible to be amongst such caring people. And it's comforting.

Please keep praying. Even though we're homesick (already), I know I'm in the right hands. Love you guys!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for the update. As far as hospitals go, it does look beautiful...I am glad that you like your neurologist (that is so important) and that the rest of the people are friendly too. Good luck with the testing. I hope that they are able to move the rest of the tests forward, so you can go home sooner and more importantly that you get some answers and treatment. Thinking about you.

Jennie said...

I can't believe you might be there until the end of December! Whatever it takes to get answers, I guess, but it didn't keep me from saying "Oh no!" out loud when I read that part. Thanks for the update.

jakeandjoanna said...

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. I'm glad that Russ is there to give you lots of support! We are praying for you guys and the medical team too.
On a much much lighter note, I'm enjoying all of your really cool pics. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Kathy said...

We be prayin'
steve & kathy

Jen Forbes said...

Kristy,
Sounds like the ball is rolling...slowly, maybe, but rolling. Cling to your heavenly Father and hug Russell alot. Still praying...
Lvoe,
Jen

Lora Lee said...

Will be praying for you. Hope you brough a book or two(dozen) to keep ya'll busy. Sounds like Sophie will get a lot of dinosaur huntin done. :) It's a pain sitting and waiting, but at least you are waiting for the next test to be done. Hugs and patience to you both.

Love,
Lora Lee

Brett said...

Girl--i'm thinkin' bout ya! You're keeping a great attitude . . . and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm sure if you wanted--my mom and dad and me could have taken care of sophie!

Also, have you considered calling Dr. Greg House? He ALWAYS figures it out . . . usually takes around 58 minutes or so! LOL!

With love from NC--B

Robert (Bob) English said...

We gotcha you in our thoughts. At least they're running tests and taking care of you now like the doc did for the little boy in "As Good As It Gets".

Kritter Krit said...

Brett,

I was just telling Russ last night, "Where's Dr. House when you need him?!" That was my point, too, from death to FIXED in 58 minutes! Now that's what I'm looking for. (Well, not the death part. The poor patients on House are looking pretty moldy...up until two minutes to the hour. Hee.) =)

Thanks for all of the great comments, guys. I so appreciate the prayers and support.

Related Posts with Thumbnails