Friday, October 24, 2008

Getting Our Craft On

Have you guys seen those hand-painted wall letters that are all the rave right now for kids' rooms? Well, I did a little perusing online, and it turns out cute little painted letters are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. ...Like feed-a-family-of-five-for-a-week expensive.

At most of the places I looked, for "S.O.P.H.I.E" it was going to cost around $125. One hundred and twenty-five smackaroos for six letters. (I'm guessing the Alexandrias and Christophers of the world are just out of luck when it comes to having their name on the wall.)

Still. Such a cute personalized touch for a kid's room. And, like I tend to do when I get my mind fixated on something, I decided Sophie's room needed some hand-painted letters. Yes, you read that right. NEEDED.

So, although I am the least "crafty" person on the planet (usually Me + Paint = Big Gloppy Mess), I thought: What the heck, let's give it a try! Sophs and I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased six unpainted wooden letters (at $1.99 a piece) and nine bottles of acrylic paint (at .99 cents a piece) and we sat down this morning to paint.

Actually, I painted letters.

Sophie mostly painted herself.

The end result turned out pretty cute, though, don't you think?


Afterwards, while one of us cleaned up the mess, one of us wandered off to take a little snooze with Yertle.

Aw. Also, pretty darn cute.

13 comments:

Kristen said...

I LOVE the letter...I will now call you Mrs Crafty Kristy (try to say that 3 times fast!)

ps you have a surprise coming in the mail ;)

Val said...

I love them!!! You did such a great job! I'm tempted to run out right now and buy the letters for my kids' room.

Kritter Krit said...

Kristen,

Ooo! A surprise! I'll be stalking the mailman. =)

Val,

Thanks! You should. Your girls would love it. And I know you have to be craftier than I am!

Mark said...

Very nice...I should hire you to redecorate my house.

Oh wait...I already did! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristy,
You did a FANTASTIC job!!!
Can't wait to see a picture of them up in Sophie's room. I guess you didn't want your mom to be the only creative one in the family :)
Love,
Aunt Becky

Kristy said...

Cute! I made some for my girls' room too!! I got my letters at WM because I refused to pay that much. =)

sarah p said...

I am impressed. really, really impressed. you should start a little side business and sell them. =)

the picture of her snoozing with yertle is SO cute! we keep yertle in the car to entertain jackson. he gets the biggest smile when you hand him over to him. it's so cute. i love yertle!

Jen Forbes said...

Cheech,
LOVE the 'H'. Little Jen flowers. Can I order "Katie", "Abby", "Reagan" and "Ada"?? I've considered doing just their first initials but I always wimp out. You've inspired me.
Thanks.
Lvoe,
Jen

Kritter Krit said...

Jen,

Ooo! We should let that be one of our projects while you're here. =)

Lvoe. =)

Anonymous said...

Is the lvoe the joint between the upper and lower arm? You know we medical types are a little challenged in blog speak.
Faf

Anonymous said...

Wow! Cheech, I love your letters! They're so classy and easy to read!!! Did I mention, I like your new blog colors and format. Not tacky at all. Seriously, I think you did a great job on the letter's designs and color combo. Plum pretty. Love, Moom

emily said...

Wow! I'm super impressed! I, too, looked for some letters for Owen's room but was stunned at how extravagantly expensive they were! Good for you being all frugal and crafty!

jakeandjoanna said...

LOVE the letters...they look so adorable! Your crafty skills are IMPRESSIVE!!! Ben has the letters from Hobby Lobby in his room too. I was much less creative and spray painted them white. Maybe I'll try to get crafty and paint something cute on his too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails