Friday, February 29, 2008

Just This Side Of The Olive Garden



For those of you who wanted it, here is the recipe from the previous post. Mmm. Good stuff!

Simply Scrumptious Lasagna

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs ground beef
1 pkg Oven Ready Lasagna noodles
1 large jar Traditional Ragu sauce (the size that's equivalent to 1 and 1/2 jars)
1 can Hunts petite diced tomatoes
1 container small curd cottage cheese (the larger 24 oz size)
1 egg
Shredded mozerella cheese
Parmesan cheese (fresh, or the kind that comes in the can.)
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Chives

Preparation:

Brown ground beef, drain, and put in a large mixing bowl. Add to it the Ragu sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and (drained) diced tomatoes. Stir to mix ingredients. In another mixing bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir.

Spray a large baking dish (I use a large 10 x 14 sized one) with non-stick cooking spray. Place four of the Oven Ready lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish. (I arrange three of them horizontally across the pan, and one vertically at the end of the other three. I usually have to break the end of that one off to get it to fit.) On top of the noodles, spread a layer of the cottage cheese mixture. On top of that spread a layer of the meat/sauce mixture. On top of that sprinkle a thin layer of shredded mozerella and grated parmesan (add cheeses according to taste - I do a light amount on all of the inside layers, and a heavier amount on top).

Repeat the layering process to make three layers. On the top cheese layer, sprinkle some chives (about a teaspoon's worth) for taste and visual appeal.

Cover baking dish with foil and place on top of a large cookie sheet (to protect oven in case of spills). Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour @ 375 degrees. In the last five minutes of cooking, uncover and turn oven to "broil". (Stay close by the oven to watch. You want the top golden brown and bubbly. But it'll go from that to burned-to-a-crisp really fast if you're not careful!)

Serve with a tossed salad and crispy french bread loaf.

(*Optional: I sometimes add sliced canned mushrooms and/or sliced pepperoni to the meat mixture for an added zesty kick.)

10 comments:

Val said...

Woo-hoo! I can get all those ingredients here. =) I'll let you know how my Filipino-fied batch of lasagna goes.

I'm so sorry that Sophie got sick, and while Russ was gone! ugh. My kids were both sick last week too (can the flu travel across the ocean?) Unfortunately, Mackenzie has my childhood habit of NOT making it to the bathroom...

That's great that your mom was there to help share the burden.

Kritter Krit said...

Ooo. Filipino-fied lasagna. Definitely let me know how it goes. =)

Courtney Horvath said...

Sounds delish...can't wait to try it! I love getting new recipes that others have already tried and I KNOW they will be good. I am the sort that will only buy a cookbook if it has a picture for every recipe. I need to know what it is supposed to look like! And great food presentation shot! I like the angle you took it from. You could give Walt a run for his money :-)

Kritter Krit said...

Courtney,

I'm the same way. I like to KNOW it's gonna be good before I make a recipe. Ingredients are too darn expensive to have the dish be a bust. Plus, that kind of fits my personality anyway: You try it, and if it's good, maybe I'll try it. "Bravely venturing forth" has never really been my gig. ;)

Fear not, this recipe is GOOD. Kids like it too because it's not too weird. Some of my recipes have some ingredients that aren't as kid-friendly.

Thanks for the picture praise! That's big coming from you guys. I love your site because it always has such beautiful pictures. Walt has actually been giving me some tips on angles and lighting. But I still just have a point-and-shoot little Kodak camera, so I mostly just, well...point and shoot! Hee.

The Mani said...

Um...yes, please...I will be making this lasagna. And soon. I'm with Courtney on needing pictures in cookbooks. You should write one, by the way.

So sorry Soph was sick. It looks like Mooms did the trick to get her through it though!

I'm sorry about the adoption not working out too. I know that baby must not be in God's plan for your family, but that doesn't mean we have to feel all perky about it, right? I wish it had worked out and I hope He has something else waiting in the works. Soon!

We had so much fun with you guys when we visited. Although I have to agree about the Ritalin. It might have to start being a necessary component of our visits until the kids get older. Not for them. For us!

Love you
Lis

The Mani said...

Oh- and did you see the picture of the kids in the tub on our blog?

So cute!

Lindsey said...

Wow! That looks beautiful! You should be a professional food photographer.

Not quite the Bradys said...

Thank you, Kristy! I can't wait to try it!

Kritter Krit said...

Lis,

Yeah, I know...the adoption situation kind of bummerfied us a bit. But, we know God has something else planned for us. It's just hard not to get impatient. (We all know how patience is my special gift.)

The picture of the kiddos in the tub is GREAT!

Lindsey,

Thanks! It actually tastes even better than it looks.

Bradys,

You're most welcome! Let me know what your crew thinks of it. =)

Not quite the Bradys said...

Hey, I forgot I was going to ask you- I've been trying to plan a family roadtrip vacation (yes, questioning my sanity here is appropriate) and I have found a lot of things that sounded like fun for families in Albuquerque. I was wondering 1) if that is accurate- you know how those articles can stretch the truth (e.g.- I can firmly attest that Tombstone, AZ is a 6 hour venture, tops even though Family Fun Magazine's travel section said a whole weekend) and 2) if you had any suggestions about don't-miss items for our itinerary?

Related Posts with Thumbnails