Sunday, September 9, 2007

Through The Ears Of A Child


This morning Sophs and I were listening to music at the computer.

******

Sophie: "Oooh. I like this one. What's this song name, Mama?"

Me: "Do I Have To Say The Words?"

Sophie: "Yes, Mama. You have to say the words."

Me: "No, honey, that's the song's name: 'Do I Have To Say The Words?' It's by Bryan Adams."

Sophie: "Oh. But what are the words? You have to say them to me."

Me: "Well, there are lots of words in the song. But the song is called 'DO I HAVE TO SAY THE WORDS?' That's the name of the song."

Sophie: (Patting me on the leg...) "It's okay, Mama. You don't have to say the words if you don't want to."

******

About that time we hear Bryan belt out achingly (in typical "My-Lover-Has-Ripped-My-Heart-Out-And-Stomped-On-It" Bryan Adams ballad form): "Do I have to say the words? Do I have to tell the truth? Do I have to shout it out? Do I have to say the words?"

To which Sophie leans in, nose-on-the-speaker close, and exclaims, "YES!! SAY THE WORDS."

I almost launched fruit punch Crystal Lite out of my nose.

1 comment:

sarah p said...

LOVE it.
I loved that she just kind of gave up and gave you a little pat. Poor mama, she just doesn't know...

How's Arkansas treating you?

Related Posts with Thumbnails