Friday, September 14, 2007

Just Plain Tacky


Calling all 'ye Painters of the World...

How long does it take for paint to not feel tacky to the touch?

The "official" website says it takes 2-4 hours to dry, but can take 24-48 hours to cure, based on the "blocking" tendency of latex paint. I'm not entirely sure what that even means, but I do know we are now at the 48 hour mark, and everything is still very tacky. I have it drying out in the garage, which I know is a more humid environment than the inside of the house (especially in AR). But it is also conveniently located away from Grabby Hands, and therefore, is the drying spot of choice.

(Didn't the red color turn out cool, by the way? Yay! The handles are not really that wonked out, to clear up any confusion. Some are just up and some are down in the picture.)

When I asked Aunt Kay about the drying, she said it could take a couple to three weeks for the paint to totally set. Which is probably true. I mean, she should know. But if that means Sophie's clothes, the dishes, and all of the office supplies have to remain in piles on the floor for that long, that's not really an acceptable answer.

I. (Twitch. Twitch.) MUST. PUT STUFF BACK. WHERE IT BELONGS!

I don't want to wreck the loveliness of everything, but the Not-Patient, Neurotic Neat-Freak in me will have to be institutionalized if waiting three weeks is the rule in Paint Drying. (Check out the office cabinet. The open part will sit on top of the part with the doors. Or vice versa. It can go either way. I really like the color it ended up being after it dried.)


So...

Anybody know anything I can do to speed things along? I've positioned a big fan out there, and now I'm considering recruiting my hair dryer. ...But that might not be advised, huh? I might be a wee bit upset with myself if I "bubbled" everything Kay spent two days perfecting.

Eegads. Waiting stinks. I want to get this NEST set!

******

Isn't the little chair for the bonus room just too CUTE? The "inspiration" for it is a pillow I have from Pier One. I love the funky flowers!


Behind the chair you can see a bit of the china cabinet peeking out. It's the right color vanilla to match our breakfast nook set (it looks way more white in the picture than it really is), but I need to do something to it to give it a slightly distressed look (like the picture below). Our built-in cabinets in the living room have had a treatment applied to them to give a worn-ish (slightly dirty?) look. It's really cool looking in person. I'm not sure it translates as well in pictures. But I'm not at all sure how it's done. It looks like a stain has been applied to the paint and then rubbed off. But then, how did they get the stain to stick? Did they rough up the already painted wood at the edges before applying the stain? Or did they just go out into the backyard and grab a few handfuls of dirt and cram them into the cracks, like it kind of looks like they did?


Hmm. Anybody out there know?

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I think the furniture looks beautiful! The colors really worked out well. Sorry you have to wait to use them, hopefully they will drive soon. I totally understand the neat freak anxiety you must be feeling right now!

sarah p said...

ooh. i love this stuff.
on the tacky issue: even though you may not want this answer: I think it'll dry faster in the air conditioning. which would mean getting police tape to keep little hands off of it. =) it seems that you'll be fighting the humidity if you keep them in the garage. could you check at home depot or something to see if there's something you could spray on it to dry faster? there must be something out there...

on the distressing: i've done this to several things in my house: dining room table, chairs, dresser, etc...what i did was: sand the edges lightly and then i dabbed a rag into some stain and kind of smeared it around here and there to give it that dirty look. it works better if you're sloppy with it - especially in the nooks and crannies. if you see distressed looking furniture in magazines/flea markets, you'll notice that it's not precise. i wish i was there to help - i love doing that kind of thing! if you want it REALLY distressed, i've banged around on mine (and seen it done on shows) with a hammer or a chain or something. not sure how much you were wanting to go with it...you can ALWAYS repaint over the stain if you end up not liking how it turned out...have fun with it!

Kristy said...

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Sarah, it's funny. I had just finished having a conversation tonight with the Lowe's guy in the paint/stain department when I came in here to read your comment.

He said pretty much EXACTLY what you said. (You should be impressed with yourself!) =)

I've started working on the china cabinet, and even though it's in the very early stages, it already looks SO GOOD. It almost exactly matches the stain treatment on our kitchen cabinets. Yay!! It will definitely take me awhile to get the stain worked into all the nooks and crannies, but I can tell I'm going to love it when I'm finally finished.

WOO HOO!!!!

sarah p said...

oh, i'm so glad you like it! isn't it fun? makes you feel like a little artist, doesn't it? one of my friends told me about the stain. i also bought a really cool book that talks about painting different types of furniture - you'd like this book - and it had some different techniques in there. way to go Lowes!

love the new pics of Sophs with your mom.

Elizabeth said...

Your red is a very beautiful red! It's now a month later so I i wonder if it's really really dry now? I'm having the same problem and need to know what to do.e I'd love some advice.
Elizabeth

Related Posts with Thumbnails